[Cob] The mobile home...

Teresa Banks tbanks98926 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 20:27:53 CDT 2006

Hi Lee,

  I don't think you are as wacky as some have perhaps made you feel.  I used to live in an old mobile home also, and if I had owned it, I would have been exploring the idea of covering it with cob also, perhaps.

  I helped a girlfriend cob an addition onto an existing "shack", in order to gain more living space.  She wanted to keep the original plumbing, roof etc, she was also a single mom with a couple of kids, and did not have the luxury of starting from scratch.  She was able to do a good job of incorporating the two together.  She did NOT put a cob floor in, she matched the raised floor in the existing structure.  She basically only added one large room, and it was still a mega project.

  If I were in your shoes, I would first complete my other cob structures, your shed etc, and THEN see if you have the time and inclination to cover the mobile home with cob.  The one thing that discourages a lot of folks from cobbing their brains out, is the fact that it takes a LONG time!  That is why so many build small.  To make sure thay can actually finish the darn thing before they run out of steam.

  After cobbing with my friend, I appreciated the fact that time and effort is also a consideration, not just cost.

  That being said, between you and me, I like to have a shot of wheat grass juice to go with my Mickey Dees.  On occasion.  But then, I admit to being a freak.

  Best to you, Teresa

Lee Courtney <heylee34 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Ok it started with wanting/needing a shed. I have read about cob and
earthbags and rammed tires etc as an affordable way to get this done. I
have experimented with all methods. Cob has been the most enjoyable and
creative and simple and easy method that I've found and my soil works well
with it. So I'm going to have this beautiful sculpted shed next to my old
ugly mobile home. Now I also want to add a sunroom and office to my house
and of course I want to use cob. So I'll have this beautiful earthen shed
and room additions attached to this old ugly mobile home. The reason I was
doing the mobile home instead of just starting from scratch is, as I have
said, to use the existing electricity and plumbing and roof. Most of the
expense of cobbing from what I have read are those things (along with
windows and doors, etc). I can just cob around the existing windows and
doors that are already set in place. I am excited about doing this myself
and am a single mom with three kids. If I can save some money then I need
to do so. I love earthen architecture, the look, the feel, the thick walls,
and the feeling of living with the earth instead of just on it, but I also
need to be practical and I would like to use the resources I have instead of
just getting rid of them. The room additions will be a new cob building
along with a cob floor. Do you understand where I am going and coming from?
Lee