[Cob] Moisture Barrier Mobile Home

Lee Courtney heylee34 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 05:46:15 CDT 2006

At this point I am still experimenting and unsure of what exactly I'm going
to do.  Kids are having a blast though :-) The wire mesh that I attached to
the side of the house is holding up so far (I attached it with nails).  The
area where I just smooshed the cob onto the siding and in the sidings groove
is holding up (not as well). The clods of cob that the kids threw at the
side of the house is falling off which I knew it would :-)  Just for grins I
peeled away a small section of the siding to see what was underneath.  It is
a blue panel board that is like a condensed styrofoam or something.  I'm
sure someone out there knows exactly what it is.  I used the hammer to make
impressions on it and stuck some cob to it to see if it would hold.
Wouldn't either the vinyl siding or this blue board be a moisture barrier to
the actual home? Someone suggested light straw clay for use as infill
between the studs of the home.  I looked into that and it appears to be a
better option if I went that route.  If so, could I also use a bit of cob on
the exterior to thicken up the walls.  I'm assuming cob will stick just fine
to light straw clay.

Lee