[Cob] cob and outside showers

Dorian Rinehart dorian_rinehart at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 22:52:08 CDT 2006

Hi, I'm new to this list, but I've been reading and planning about cob construction for several years now and I have a question.  Several of us are constructing a cob wall in the next few weeks to enclose a space for an outside shower and bathtub.

  My question is, the shower will be approximately 2 feet from the cob with the shower head on an adjacent stone wall (or it could be set against on the cob wall facing away from the cob).  We are currently building the stone foundation and are wondering if it would help the cob closest to the shower (with either orientation - which do you think would be a better way for the water to go - straight away or parallel to?) if we placed stones (or tiles) into the cob.  Would that improve the water resistance of that area of wall, or would the addition of boundaries (along the lines of the stone/tile and the cob) weaken the water resistance of that area of the wall?

  I'm building in Austin, TX, which is a dry climate, generally, but I know cob is doing well in the NW, which is not considered dry and I know it has donw very well in England, which is certainly not dry, so I assume this will work.  Do you have any comments/advice you can offer?

  Thanks for your time and thoughts!

  Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets.