[Cob] Oils for finishing cob/plaster/wood

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 01:29:25 CDT 2006

It might be a good idea if whatever preferably non-toxic you used both
soaked into your surface a bit and eventually dried.  Don't know if
extra-virgin oilive oil is likely to do that in a reasonable time.  But IIRC
varnish is or can be an oil that may do both.

Of course, it's also a good idea to have the building closed in before you
start applying it, especially if you live at the bottom of my hill, where
some little or not-so-little (could have been a dog, raccoon, possum,
squirrel, mouse, vole, etc.) critter chewed the linseed-oil soaked clay/sand
floor.  I wonder if lavender oil would have helped.

Roger wrote:

Hi folks.

Can anyone comment on why linseed oil is always touted as the best  for
finishing earthen floors etc.?  I know it's used for wood too...
Is it cost, availability, suitability, etc....?

I was wondering if it was possible to use any vegetable oil to finish...

1. earthen floors
2. earthen plasters
3. wood finishes

any comments are very much appreciated.