[Cob] re: cob in ohio

Thomas Gorman tom at honeychrome.com
Tue May 2 21:20:08 CDT 2006

I can certainly understand wanting to hold onto a dream of building
what you want, how you want- building a cob house for ourselves
quickly became our dream/obsession, too.  But bear in mind the
importance of 'appropriate technology.'  A lot of 'conventional'
construction fails at efficiency (and fails environmentally too)
because it's design is based on ideas developed in locales and
climates and 'imported' to areas where it isn't ideal (hacienda-style
in the north east!?).  You may have to be flexible with your dreams
and designs and mix and match several techniques in your building.
As I've learned more and more our dream design has evolved to better
fit our likely site and climate in upstate NY, and cob has
accordingly (if a little sadly) become a smaller part of the overall
scheme.  A purist, load-bearing cob structure might economically and
aesthetically be a wonderful thing, but we've realized that it just
wouldn't be appropriate for the climate, so likely now we'll build
some combination of timber-frame with strawbale or clay-slip straw
infill for the north, east and west walls and concentrate the cob
(and glass) in the southern wall and for interior masses.  It
complicates things, and makes it all seem a little bit less
'sculptural,' but in the end we'll have a more efficient and
appropriate house.  And there'll still be plenty of places for garden
walls and an outdoor oven of cob, and maybe a summer guest cabin!