[Cob] Good clay?

Dave Brown quahog at netnet.net
Wed May 3 22:08:10 CDT 2006

This is my first venture into the world of cob.  I intend to build a
cob oven in the back yard.  This area of WI has plenty of good
clay.  A fraction of a foot of topsoil, then clay, and clay, and more
clay ... right in my backyard.  Or so I think.  This area used to be
big brick making, predominately red brick from the local red clay.

I tried the shake and let it settle test.  After 24hrs I find that
there is almost no sand or grit in the bottom of the jar.  I don't
recognize any silt at all, and the slurry is still thick as a melted
chocolate/strawberry McShake.  It appears to me as if I've got instant slip.

I know that there are some doubts cast about the shake test, but I
think it's at least given me an idea of what I have to work
with.  What's the next best step to take to determine if what I have
is good clay or is it silt masquerading as clay?  Or would it just be
best to simply use it for what I think it is and make a series of
trial cobs (varying sand amounts and with/without straw?

Suggestions?

Dave Brown
Green Bay, WI