[Cob] Good clay?

Bill&Julie wkbjkb3 at mn.rr.com
Fri May 5 13:55:10 CDT 2006

Hello Dave,,  ~¿~

The thin-ness of your slurry is due to the ratio of the sample to water...
And that is immmmmaterial, if you weighed all of the stages of the
process. That is, after the samples have been dried out in an oven.
What you are looking for in the analysis is ratios of each sub-divisions
of your sample. So it does not matter how much you start out with,
but the percentages of each part to the whole.
Now there is a chart for your findings on the net...
http://plantphys.info/Plants_Human/soillab.html

But the only reason that a person would need to get this carried away
is for documenting and quality control. And this may be important to
people in government. Also this may be important for your peace of
mind for repeatability of your process.
My attention to this kind of detail comes from 13 years as a QC-QA
inspector in a machine shop..
Once you can keep your "process in control" then you can start
the construction in earnest... But first I would make test bricks,
and small test walls, and small test arches. And figure out some
repeatable way to load each until they break, and record the results.
Once you find the best mix, Build with a great deal of confidence.

Hope this helps,, bill  ô¿ô