[Cob] Stone houses and "Natural" Building

Jennifer Roberts smurf_goddess at hotmail.com
Sat May 13 16:56:40 CDT 2006

So, here is my dilemma. All my ventures into natural building began on the
premise of "use what you have," materials as local as possible, etc. I moved
to a high valley desert surround by mountains, where there is no clay in
sight for miles. Scoria, etc., even strawbales have to be trucked in (60
miles or more), while my next door neighbor just dug out his basement and
came up with enough rock for my house and then some, which he offered to me
free of charge. Though this is a little more labor intensive than I had been
planning, I have thought of it more and more. Why not build stone walls with
a layer of straw clay on the interior for lightness and insulation? Or maybe
make space for sawdust from the local mill. How about with lime mortar?

This leads to the bigger question of just how natural our buildings really
are. When we are discussing R values, for example, how do you figure the
local use of material vs. how much it will take to heat, etc.? I tend to
frown on the idea of anything being trucked it, but maybe I am looking at
the project with blinders and will save more energy than is necessary to
bring in the right thing. Instead of comparing building methods with each
other I am also comparing them to living in a travel trailer in the dead of
winter and will have to create other housing by next May. So will it be a
used tent style yurt, earthbag dome with scoria, stone circle house? This
process is teaching me over and over again that purism doesn't always make
sense, but if I am taking extra steps to be deliberately natural, I want to
be sure that it is worth it.

Jen