[Cob] Re: Cob workshops in the Washington, DC area

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sat May 27 13:09:38 CDT 2006

On June 10 and 17 There will be two workshops for the price of  one. Nancy
and Hilary will be doing a cob workshop while I will begin applying  lime putty
to the straw bale walls. Also, there are still plenty of vacancies at  the
June 7 cob workshop running 6 PM till dark.
If there are people at the cob workshops who missed  the bale/living roof
workshop and are interested in discussing living  roof technology, Nancy said she
is willing to go over what has been done and  what needs to be done to design
and build a living roof.

    If you are interested in one of these workshops  they will be in
Clarinden area just north of Spout Run. Call Joan Kelsh to  reserve a spot at
703-228-3599.
    If the time slot that you want is filled or if you  have other questions
regarding cob or bale give me a call. Ed @ 703-360-2316 or  _raduazo at aol.com_
(mailto:raduazo at aol.com)
    Also, I am thinking about making one or more of the  scheduled workshops
into a rototiller mixing session or perhaps adding a tiller  mixing session.
If you are interested in seeing how two people can mix and apply  a ton of
material in one day give me a call.
    Project summery: We are building a cob/straw bale  shed with a living
roof. Originally this was to be a passive solar enclosure,  but I was overruled
on the windows. Anyway, When Ianto builds cob/straw bale he  usually constructs
them at the same time. I worked with him in Wales on such a  project and was
impressed by how solid the bales felt after they had been stuck  together with
cob.
    In this project I have erected lode-bearing bales  first and now plan to
build cob interior wall on the bale surfaces. I hope to  break the one foot
per day barrier by putting the bale wall up first and using  it as a form for
the cob.
    I believe cob/bale wall is the best way  to get passive solar in that
100% of the solar energy stored in interior  walls is recoverable and most of the
energy stored in bale insulated  exterior walls is recoverable. Ianto says
that the Wales building only looses a  few degrees per day when you stop heating
it in the dead of  winter.