[Cob] Heating cob homes?

David T. soap at whidbey.com
Sat Jun 3 20:57:27 CDT 2006

I was wondering if there are ways to heat COB homes that are not sean often. How about waste oil from deep fat fryers? I know you can heat a kiln with these. I was thinking how about something like what the romans used to do, like the hypocosts, but have the flue run through one of the walls and then curve back on itself multiple times to get the most efficiency from the heat and let it leach into the cob wall and then slowly let it out over time. I've seen this used also in clay stoves in Europe. I would think clay piping would be the best thing to use in this case for the flue since it radiats and holds heat very well.

I'm looking personaly for the best way to heat my home to the least ammount of money. I will also have a wood fireplace in the home but something other than wood when I get lazy and dont want to take the time for a wood fire would be nice.

Sincerely;

David T.