[Cob] Silo Stove Squat

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Thu Jun 8 09:09:56 CDT 2006

Have you ever fired ceramics?  If you have any air pockets in the
clay, the air expands and the piece explodes.  Now take that to the
scale of a house, where natural clay mixed by feet is heterogenous and
has a lot of air space (especially in the straw)...

I could be way off base, but I'd expect it to just be rubble when
you're finished.

Also, the heat it takes to fire clay that thick is immense, much more
than you'd get by just building a fire in the house.  I don't think
you could get enough air/fuel into a house to fire the walls.   Even
the top of my cob oven wasn't ceramic when I demolished it to build
another, and it had a lot of fire in it.

Neat idea though :)

-Clint