[Cob] Silo Stove Squat

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 10 21:59:09 CDT 2006

Mike Oehler of "$50 and up" fame also loves daylighting, so there's a lot of
it in his house, and in the way he talks about design.  He had an engineer
take a good hard look at what he was doing as well.  PSP--which is I think
posts, shoring, polyethylene are the keys to his system.

Glenn Kangiser's house is nice, definitely a work in progress.

But I would think that a fired-in-place ceramic house would be difficult to
do underground.  It could be made of bricks.  Fired first and then mortared
into a dome shape might work perfectly nicely.  Khalili's domes that were
fired were made of something like adobe blocks, just fired in place.

Drainage and hydraulic pressure would be an issue especially anywhere there
was  frost, and uneven frost heaving, with a fairly brittle ceramic
structure.  As it is with mortared brick, block or poured concrete.
Although a dome shape might help.

but a root cellar would be nice, under or near one's cob or other earthen
home.

shannon wrote:
If you want to go under ground cheap and ecologically, you might want to
take a look at: "The $50 & Up Underground House Book"

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/book.html

it has been around for a long time and is still one of my favorites.