[Cob] Foundation depth for garden walls?

Thomas Gorman tom at honeychrome.com
Fri Jun 16 10:47:04 CDT 2006

Lynn-
My reading of the post from Toronto that you refer to is that the
gravel in the trench came UP to a point 6" below grade and doesn't
mention how deep the trench actually is.  Conventional wisdom is that
you want your rubble trench to be dug down below the frost line for
your area.  The landscape fabric is to keep dirt and silt from
infiltrating the gravel and inhibiting it's ability to drain water.

I just did a workshop where we built a garden wall.  The foundation
and stem wall was prepared by the owner of the property on which the
wall was being built and unfortunately was only about a foot deep and
the stone stem wall was short and not very sturdily laid.   The whole
wall would rock back and forth in an unsettling manner when
vigorously laying the cob as it's height increased.  Sadly, I'd be
surprised if the wall lasts more than a year or so- it was located at
the bottom of a hill where water is going to collect, soak the ground
under the foundation and freeze, which will unevenly heave the wall
leading to failure.   If you don't want to worry about frost heave
cracking and maybe even tumbling your wall, dig a proper foundation
for it!  It might even be more critical to get well below the frost
line in a garden wall than in a house foundation- a lived-in house
will be heated, essentially raising the frost line depth a bit, but a
garden wall foundation will be surrounded by the cold.  You want any
water out from under there!

Tom