Fwd: RE: [Cob] How wide should a cob wall be in earthquake zones?

Ian Marcuse dtebb at alternatives.com
Mon Jun 19 11:49:50 CDT 2006

I was involved in the siesmic testing here in Vancouver. Though we
are still waiting for the engineers report, one obvious finding was
the extent of shear failure, but as you say, only at about 2 g-force
(over 9 richter at the epicenter). Considering the massive force our
model received, it held up very well. As a consequence of this test,
City engineers here in Vancouver (a high siesmic zone) have asked for
vertical reinforcement of some sort,  sticks, even just rope. I would
say that bamboo would work well. A recent garden shed on City
property, though under 100 sq. ft and not requiring a permit, was
required to have this vertical reinforcement.

Ian Marcuse