[Cob] tiller cob and other machines

Gregory Lehman lehmangr at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:03:59 CDT 2006

I've had good luck mixing cob with a rented Bobcat. I mixed around 10 tons
in four hours (one bale of straw per ton). I coved it with a tarp and it
stayed nice for days. It was very nice stiff cob which could be stacked up
high without sagging. Two of us in two days raised part of the wall 4'.

I ditched the cobbers thumb. Got a pitchfork. I built on the wall about 1
cubic yard (2 tons) per day. In Yemen they have buildings 9-10 stories tall
in which they they threw balls forcefully on the wall--no cobbers thumb or
knitting together involved. If I do more cob work I'll ditch the pitchfork
and go directly from the bucket of a machine onto the wall.

Greg Lehman