[Cob] tiller cob and other machines

joe joe at skeesick.com
Fri Jun 23 08:20:10 CDT 2006

		***oops... did a reply not reply all. Repost to the list*******

For me at least it isn't expectation as
much as expearience. The volumes of cob we made with tractors in the UK
in 30 minutes mixing was more than a couple foot mixers could make in a
day. (using a larger rig than a bobcat) Application was aided as well
by the front end loader on the tractor. As for quality, there was no
effective difference in the quality for the cob for structural use. (a
quality argument could be made perhaps if you were using it for plaster
mixes).

I can't touch the quite work environment comment. The point is that if
you don't have tools you can mix cob and do a good job of it manually.
My comment was on the false economy/ecology of foot mixing that is
often trotted out. More fuel would be used up in the traveling back and
forth that would be used up by the tractor, and you'd be in a more
effecient home sooner as well, bringing about greater savings. The
quite environment i'd rather spend on the finish details and the living
in my new home then trudging cob. For some it's the journey, others
it's the destination.
		To each his own.