[Cob] Cob mixing tests

Susan Evans seasider48 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 16:38:45 CDT 2006

Has anyone tested the various cob mixes?  There seems to be a lack of definitions on the mailings - hand-mixed cob is deemed superior to machine mixed. Surely this does not mean my poor hand-mixing is superior to a machine-mixed batch that I have spent a reasonable quantity of time preparing.  Has anyone done any actual tests?   One could test by using the same ingredients - straw cut to the same length for all mixes, etc. and mix by hand, then also by various machine methods.  Then test to failure.  Are the mixes comparable in strength at that time?

  There is too much variance in individual abilities and methodologies to assess this properly otherwise, I think.

  My hand-mixed cob is likely to be very poor as I have a bad back and am in my late 50s.  I would be unlikely to spend a lot of time stomping around on a tarp.  It would not be very cost effective for me either.

  What exactly determines the superiority/inferority of a cob mix?

  Sue Evans