[Cob] Another mixing way.....

Lee Courtney heylee34 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 06:14:21 CDT 2006

Single woman here, fast approaching middle age, back and legs get tired
easier than they used to, unwilling to spend money on mixing machines and
don't know anybody who has a cow.

So this is my method:  I use a wheelbarrow and fill it with dirt and grass
clippings (been dry here, straw is hard to come by). Then I sit on a stool
and mix the dry mix by hand, breaking up clods of dirt/clay and mixing in
the grass.  I have a bucket of water next to me so I tip the wheelbarrow,
sit on the ground, and start making "bread".  Sift the dry ingredients and
use water from my bucket to make the dough and I knead it with the palm of
my hand and turn and mix, add dirt if necessary, add clippings as necessary,
etc.  Since I am sitting next to the wall I'm working on, it's easy to take
the "batter" and plop it on the wall and knead it into what exists there.
For me, this saves time, I always get the right mix, (with a tarp I would
either make it too watery or too dry and spent alot of time adding a little
more water, a little more dirt, a little more water, etc..), plus it has
saved my back and my legs and I don't need to walk back and forth, back and
forth.  The tarp is now a canopy that I move with me to stay in the shade
:-)

Best of luck with whichever way works best for you :-)

LC