[Cob] PaperCob!

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jul 6 13:22:26 CDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 10:12 AM, davidsheen at davidsheen.com wrote:

>  The fact that the paper won't
> dry too quickly means that when the next layer is added on top of the
> first, the two layers can physically bond and integrate, creating a
> solid,
> incredibly strong monolithic internal insulating wall.  And of course,
> they'll always be able to evaporate upwards, where they won't be
> shuttered
> in.

anyone who has poured a wet papercrete mix ( with  cement or not)  sees
that the wicking of water goes DOWN..keeping the base constantly wet
for months, and often causing blowouts.

so in your  cob sandwich  the paper mess is  keeping the COB wet too,
and wicking into it, weakening your wall.

if you are smart PRE CAST   papercrete type ( I prefer the all paper+
clay+lime) blocks, dried  in the sun, and install them dry between the
cob. lessening the chancce of  soaking the cob, and or creating mold in
the wet paper.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534
Tel:  707-441-1632   MORE Building DVDs in stock