[Cob] PaperCob!

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Thu Jul 6 14:07:51 CDT 2006

On 7/6/06, GlobalCirclenet <webmaster at globalcircle.net> wrote:

> >Unless I've missed something here, I think this still-conceptual wall
> >system may be the easiest way to build an almost-all eco-earthen house for
> >extreme climates, that's round, warm, and fuzzy, and still doesn't require
> >any high-tech industrial equipment before, during, or after.  The Peak Oil
> >Papercob Wall... can you find fault with it?
>
> I'm afraid it's a nobrainer. Most heat loss is through the ceiling,
> windows, and doors, obviously. Heat rises, and no amount of R-value in
> the walls alone will reduce total house heat loss enough to notice.

Aiee!  No!  It is true that hot _air_ rises, but heat travels in all
directions at once.  Heat loss through walls is a huge deal.  I'll
admit your attic is the first place to look if it's not properly
insulated, but after that, getting a good vapor barrier on a wall, and
decent insulation, and looking out for thermal bridging...these things
are a must for a well-insulated house.

-Clint