[Cob] Drainage

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Sun Jul 23 06:36:00 CDT 2006

All,

I'm building a tiny, oval building with a lower level on sandy sandy soil.
The plan is a rubble trench foundation with an earth bag foundation, cob
for the top half of the walls. It has been terribly rainy here all spring
and summer, and when we hit three feet, the sand was still dry as a bone.
The drainage around the site is very good, with all the water in the place
flowing instead to the base of my other cob structure (we'll be fixing that).

My question is, in very well drained soil such as this, is there a point to
sending the weeping tile out to a dry well for drainage below the
foundation? We're already pretty deep and I don't relish digging another,
deeper hole and trench, but certainly will if required.

Thank you for your input.

Georgie