[Cob] NEW EARTHEN FLOOR ON OLD CONCRETE FLOOR

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Fri Aug 25 17:28:47 CDT 2006

Earthen floors are much heavier than floor tiles.  Like any change to
an existing structure, you'll need to calculate the change in dead
load and see if your floor joists can handle it.
It will depend on joist depth, spacing, and maximum span.  It will
also effect your bearing wall (assuming you have one), and the beam
that supports that wall under your house and the columns that support
that (unless you're slab-on-grade.)

It's a question for a structural engineer or architect.  Honestly.

-Clint