[Cob] Shower in a cobhouse

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Sat Aug 26 10:55:19 CDT 2006

We will make ours the same way another family in our community did theirs.
It is made with bricks, but it's perfectly possible that you could treat
cob the same way. We just don't have the nerve.

You build the shower cabin with bricks, using clay as a mortar. It is
often possible to get small amounds of bricks cheap or free, either used
or leftovers from larger building projects.

The mortar needs to be a lot more sandy than the clay used for cob. With
our local clay we usually add 3 or 4 times as much sand. My guess is that
our clay holds somewhat less than 50% sand.

When the mortar has dried, add lime plaster - the same quality as you
would use on the outside of a house. We buy some lime mortar with 6-7%
lime, and add 1/5 hydrated lime. Leave this to dry.

Then the shower cabin is painted with tung oil, and after that has dried,
with a linseed oil painting made with linseed oil varnish (I don't know if
that is available everywhere). I don't have the reciepe at the moment, but
I can find it if somebody wants it. But it would probably also be possible
to buy a suitable "pre-made" linseed oil paint.

The floor in the shower isn't as romantic - here we use tiles, and the
special kind of cement normaly used for the purpose.

You can make a very nice mosaic floor by using broken tiles of different
colours.