[Cob] new earthen floor on old concrete floor

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 10:03:55 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/24/2006 6:15:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ap615 at hotmail.com writes:

(by the  way, we could nail or screw our wood.  Ed, how did you fasten yours
down?)

Regarding fastening earth floors to concrete: I knew that I was going to do
an earth floor all along. (The concrete was just to keep the building
inspectors  happy.) So, instead of hard troweling I brushed the surface with a stiff
broom,  one or those two-foot wide push brooms.
    However, poured adobe is pretty sticky. Again I  would suggest that you
do a one foot squares with different formulas, seal them  with linseed oil and
place the legs of a chair in the centers of the squares and  put your weight
on them. A good earth floor should support your weight with  out denting and
with out spalling. More sand makes the floor harder, more clay  makes the floor
sticker and more straw or horse manure makes the floor more  spall resistant.
You have to do testing because the clay you dig out of your  back yard is
different from the clay in my back yard.
    I have heard of adding a little Elmer's glue to the  formula to improve
hardness but I have never tried this on a floor and I am  unsure how this would
affect penetration of linseed oil into the surface. This  is something you
need get your surface hardness. I made one other mistake when I  did my floor.
After the linseed oil I put on a layer of oil based urethane to  give me a
glossy finish. Boy was that a mistake. The Urethane did not adhere  properly to
the linseed oil in places so I have to peel it off and replace it  with paste
wax.
    It is not as easy as just mixing and dumping  something out of a can, but
it is worth it to test your materials before you  start.
Ed