[Cob] Re: composition of clay mortar for urbanite

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Sep 2 13:31:54 CDT 2006

The ratio of clay to sand for the mortar depends entirely on the purity
of the clay being used.  There are many tests to use when mixing cob,
especially the "crunchy" ball of cob which indicates that the sand
particles are coated with clay, yet not too much clay.

Regarding the ground moisture affecting the mortar, my understanding is
that the mortar doesn't necessarily need to dry or remain completely
dry.  It is just a layer of compressed material to level the foundation
stones/urbanite.  Ianto tells a story of medieval lime mortared
foundations where upon deconstruction, workers found the lime to still
be in putty form, after hundreds of years!

BTW, all this information is covered in vastly greater detail in The
Hand Sculpted House, the primer on cob building by Ianto, Michael and
Linda of the Cob Cottage Company.  I highly recommend getting a copy
for anyone who wants to build with cob.  (Often the issues and
questions raised on this list need in depth answers which all can be
found in the book.)

And Carrie, if you're ever in our neck of the woods, come on by and
check out what we cook in the oven, as amazing than the beautiful
sculptural design.

Cob on,
Ocean Liff-Anderson
Proprietors, Intaba's Wood Fired Eatery