[Cob] Cob Studies: Civil Engineers: U of BC: Materials testing

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 16:41:11 CDT 2006

“... (Approximate quote); all experienced experts in
earth construction and structural engineering at
present do not agree about critical issues such as
required material strength and the need/function of
straw (fibers) in the cob. This just further points
out the need for a well designed test program to give
solid information based on fact as to exactly what we
can expect for cob and how it can best be used to
construct buildings.”
Sorry for the changes to the quote, it was done for
brevity/clarity for my question.
The experts might be able to give their differing
numbers for cob with an explanation of why (depending
on percentage of hey, etc.). I would think that
cities/counties would give permission to build if we
sign a release of liability which would be posted at
the entrance and the building would be considered
experimental until uniform requirements can be
established. Until such time, should any one engineers
opinion be permitted?

A plan reviewer for the building department for the
city of Portland said that if I could demonstrate with
calculations that show my plans supporting the loads
and their engineers agreed, that I would be basically
be allowed to build what I want, (me hiring or being
an engineer or not).
I assume it is compressive strength that helped
standardize the use of concrete (like 2500 psi), along
with chemical formula (when they ask for the use of
clean water). I think the use chemical formula could
be skipped if cob test samples could be tested for
compression, sheer and tinsel and if standards could
be established that with minimum wall thickness,
maximum hight and span between intersecting wall would
be a goal. I wonder if the use of bamboo could be
standardized by size and species, like wood and re bar
is designated type if metal and size are designated in
the national building codes?

What if we installed standard plywood sheer walls or
alt brace panels 2'-8” wide at the ends of walls in
south facing window walls in a minimum length of
asphalt coated concrete foundation?

Would going this far be selling out considering we
want passive solar glass south walls? Would it be
better to build a more conventional structure (as far
windows are concerned) with an attached southern
exposed greenhouse so less engineering would be
required?
Shody