[Cob] straw chopper

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 21:29:33 CDT 2006

what kind of five gallon bucket are you using?

I was mixing clay slip the other day with a drill-mounted paint mixer,
couldn't keep it away from the sides of the five-gallon plastic bucket which
broke.

(if anyone's trying that, tipping the paint mixer so there is a nice hole in
the slip works.   Holding it straight up and down does not.  We ended up
using one of those magic pliable plastic tubs that you can hold the handles
together to pour stuff out of--red, green, blue, orange as well as basic
black--they're wonderful)

One of the books recommends a mulching leaf blower for chopping straw.  I
don't currently own one, never tried it.  Since we only needed a small
amount of longish straw for the last project we sat down beside our straw
bales, turned on an audio book, had at it with pruning shears.  Which I
rather quickly learned how to sharpen.  We'll need more short straw the next
time, so I'll be glad to hear the results of the home-made chopper.

Ray wrote:

so i made the straw chopper  .
five gallon bucket,  two pieces of wood, steel rod with steel string
attached, drill.  like a string lawnmower
inside the bucket.  it's pretty effective.   i'm going to cut the bottom and
put some chickenwire so it sifts directly.

i'll let you know how the final test goes tomorrow.

Microsoft Office Live