[Cob] Stone-cob hybrid

lori murphy tefla2 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 11:35:09 CST 2006

Hi

  All the code issues with cob and suggestions for strawbale-cob hybrids,along with some reading about the Nearings stone buildings have made me wonder if cob could be used as the interior for a stone building.A stone exterior,loose straw for insulation,and cob interior walls,if the stone were to support the roof,it seems like the biggest issue with the codes is getting cob approved as a load bearing structure.Ive noticed strawbale is being permitted as infill only as well,so that made me think,well could pillars of urbanite,or stone be used to support the roof,instead of framing everything with 2 by 4's,and having to strap it all down,etc,what about a slipformed stone shell instead of strawbale shell.It would seem in some cases,if stone was plentiful or recycled it might be an appropriate combination,basically using the same material as the stem wall.Would lime mortar have to be used to allow the walls to breathe? I found a good source for lime putty by the way-US Heritage
 in Chicago,you can find them online.Ive used some of their one year aged lime putty to make plaster for some test bricks of cob,it came out beautiful.They also carry several colors of old european lime wash.

  Lori

Sponsored Link

   Degrees for working adults in as fast as 1 year. Bachelors, Masters, Associates. Top schools