[Cob] Permitting

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 09:24:03 CST 2006

How much is an engineer considered at fault if a building with his (or her)
seal fails?

If not much--or at all--then it shouldn't cost much, engineer can say, "oh,
I can just use so-and-so's figures for strength and so on, and not worry if
the builders are going to cut corners and make a hash of it."

If the engineer--or the people granting the permits--can be sued
big-time....
Owen wrote:

I had an interesting discussion with a person I've known for a few years but
only just realized they were an Engineer. My county building inspectors said
that it would not be a problem for me to build a structure such as
straw-bale/cob as long as I had an Engineer's seal. However, my friend is
telling me that it can cost upwards of $10,000. Does anyone have any
experiance with this our any helpful information?

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live