[Cob] Permitting

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Thu Dec 21 14:32:43 CST 2006

It was a 2000 ft home, that was built with manufactured cedar logs. The logs
were small 1/4 cedar tree rounds that were laminated together to form a
planed surface which then had a spacer between the exact same kind of board
on the other side. I wish I could show you a picture. The group that made
these logs doesn't make them the same anymore.

They were 5 inches tall and 8 inches wide. They came in varying lengths.
Then you stack them like Lincoln logs...and used caulking and long screws to
secure them. Run the wiring, etc throught the spacers in the wall.

Altho there isn't much info on building with Lincoln logs, there is plenty
of structural info saying that it will be sturdy. That is what the
structural engineer reported on. My husband did all our drawings, but the
engineer did many of his own. In theory...if the house fell down...the
structural engineer is responsible.

Our county approved all the plans based on the engineer's findings.

We are smack in the middle of residential Seattle area...so for a
home...this is the most alternative we could pull off. I do have the
foundation for a 12x12 round cob studio on our property...but I haven't been
able to dedicate the rest of the time to that project yet.

I hope to this spring.