[Cob] NM earthen code

claysandstraw kindra at claysandstraw.com
Fri Dec 29 15:03:33 CST 2006

The New Mexico Earthen Building code does indeed use the term "unburned clay
masonry" a term that covers, adobe, cut sod, rammed earth and Compressed
earth blocks (CEB).  Cob is the British word for "puddled adobe" and our
engineer and inspector both recognize cob as "adobe".  Stabilization of
adobe (with asphalt emulsion) is required only within 4 inches of the floor
(generally a higher stem wall serves the same purpose.)  Anything more than
4" above the floor can be made of "natural" earthen materials.  Also "if
desired, exterior walls may be protected with mud plaster."
You can find a PDF copy of the NM earthen code on Quentin Wilson's page
under "resources" on the right hand column.
http://www.quentinwilson.com/

Our house in New Mexico is fully permitted with cob, adobe blocks, strawbale
and roundwood timbers harvested right off the lot.  The inspectors have seen
everything, including the cob, and approved it.  I have kept a pretty decent
construction weblog on-line at

http://www.claysandstraw.com/projects/mtncttge/mtncttge.htm

Honestly permitting an earthen structure is not at all a big deal in NM,
after all, they have a thousand year old cob/adobe block structure still
standing and still occupied in Taos.

peace and blessings, Kindra