[Cob] sound proofing

Sabrina Free sabrinafree at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:55:36 CST 2007

Ron,
Oh great idea on the posters!  I am really close to a Habitat for Humanity
Restore and good friends with the lady who runs it, so that might be a good
place to generate interest too.  (A whole 'nother conversation there which I
won't start right now...)
I have seen those little shake roofs and didn't really care for the looks
but understand the purpose.  Am trying to think of another option.  Because
of the layout of the house and the tini-ness of the side of the lot I am
concerned with, I don't think one side will get much wind, there just isn't
room for much to generate.  The other side might be more of an issue, but
even then it is not as if there is a large sweeping prarie that the wind can
whip across.  Just a train track, a ditch and a bar with fake log cabin
siding. :o)
I have had several people look at the cement block (which looks to be in bad
shape on first glance) and the general consensus is that all the problems
are in the stucco with the exception of a few spots which are up near the
section of roof that needs replacing anyway, and the top half of the
chimney.  The block mason who came today was really interested in the
project and willing to only do the parts I wouldn't want to do myself (the
up-high stuff) and help me out with instructions on how to do the rest.
Fortunately (price wise) the guy from the bank who owns it thinks it is
falling down and so does the code compliance guy, so until I prove otherwise
I will let them think that, as it will likely save me about 30K $.
Apparently people have noticed me hanging around there - I got invited to
the neighborhood association meeting tonight. :o)
Sabrina