[Cob] cob permits

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 22:41:03 CST 2007

Hi Sarah,
Here in Portland, Oregon, an accessory building is
habitable and, as far as I can tell, is just a way to
pay less in permit fees and have an increased number
of dwellings on a single lot, or something like that.
Unless you already know what an accessory building is
as defined by an official hand-out or the building
depart web site, I would make sure I was correct as to
the definition of it for sure, not just what someone
told you it is, even if it was the building inspector
who told you.

Thermal storage (and thermal mass [TM]) and R value
are opposites, in a sense, but can be used in
conjuction with eachother to help regulate the temp in
your house. It is generally helpful to have insulation
exterior to the TM. I assume cob has very good TM and
therefore poor R value.
I would assume that you might have a number of odd
ball systems like solar oriented passive solar heating
and cooling, a wood stove, or radiant heat floors,
maybe a straw bale north wall or an integrated green
house for collecting heat? You may wish to consider
having an enineer work up a an energy report for the
building department.
If they are like the department in this area, we have
to show how we are heating the house and the numbers
regarding BTUs, (Watts if elect heat?) and R value
have to pan-out in their view. We also have to show
how the water is heated too, believe, so if you are
doing anything they are not familer with, an energy
report might save head aches ... any how, some thing
to consider.
I guess an alternative would be to install
conventional systems to get rid of the inspecter and
then install the alternative systems after they are
gone.
As far as anwers to the questions you asked, I don't
know.
Shody

--- Sarah Booth <auntsariah at hotmail.com> wrote:

> we could probably now have a permitted "accessory
> structure".  But instead, we decided to... increase
> our struggle with the city by pursuing a permit for
a > habitation rather than just an accessory
structure.

> That brings me to our current dilemma.  R value.
> This could possibly be a major road block in our
> efforts.  Thermal mass isn't recognized by codes.
We > need to find out the R value of cob.

The fish are biting.