[Cob] lime mortar for Bathroom / kitchen tile in a cob house

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Jan 27 16:41:23 CST 2007

  THis is the shower at Emerald Earth,  and  have to admit I totally
fell in love with it when the Natural Buiding colloquim as held there 2
summers ago.

The BEST part about the artwork tile shower  is having to traverse the
length of the greenhouse to get to the shower. So they did an amazing
job of putting the shower in a place where the plants get the advantage
of the steam and moisture, and the beauty of nature for the humans too!
  a pallet wood deck to dry off and walk on was used, and simple screen
are puled into place to allow privacy.

  But there was a problem with cob mortar, and a leak was found going
thru to the sauna room behind it. They MAY hav used cement to  embed
the tile, I can't recall.

So a natural LIME plaster would be perfect over the cob walls, and
avoids use of cement, and provides a better mortar and protection for
the clay walls.

Lime has been used for millinea to embed tiles, so it is a good choice
for cob/earth use too, and sticks better than cement, especially f a
lime-clay plaster has been applied over the clay.  putting Like-to LIKE
is the best use.

Remember cement just COATS the particles of sand, but  lime combines at
the  base molecular level and stays that way.

Charmaine  << I just acquired a ton of broken marble taken from a
fancy shower display at a local tile store, and I plan  to use noting
but lime mortar for the grout and mastic in my Work Studio.  taking the
very expensive!!, and free  marble and making a floor over an old
bumpy slab, is a dream come true for me...  It will be a lot of heavy
work-- the mabrle weighs a ton but is gorgeous) and I will be able to
use the piles of tossed out smaller broken black and green, brownj &
tan marble I have been collectng to cover the 14 x 20 floor--- finally!

> David Sheen has a picture on his website of a shower with inlaid tile.
> think he wrote that it was inlaid in lime plaster.  He's rearranged the
> site since I looked at the picture, so I can't send you the link, but
> you
> could Google his name and cob, or anarchitecture.

Check 'em out.  Gorgeous stuff.
http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k502.htm
http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k501.htm
http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k503.htm

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534  USA
Tel:  707-441-1632
New Books-DVDs-CDs on Natural/House Building