[Cob] Radiant floors - why not cob???

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Mon Jan 29 14:01:03 CST 2007

After I finished my last post, I just realized I am concerened about
the "off topic" subject of this whole thread (which I posted with an
off topic answer):  Why aren't we discussing cob-floor radiant systems
instead of concrete?

PEX (which I just posted about) is ideal under cob, as well as
concrete.  You can even used the 6x6 wire mesh to zip-tie the PEX to.
And cob is neutral and non-reactive, if you decided to used copper.

So a plea to get back on topic - let's discuss cob floor systems.  I
doubt anyone investing in the eco-friendly lifestyle of cob
construction would really want to live with a concrete slab under their
feet.  Especially considering the fact that medical waste is often used
to fire Portland cement kilns resulting in embedded radioactive
isotopes in your slab...

One of the side benefits to a cob floor is that if for some reason your
water system springs a leak (very unlikely) - cob is much easier to
excavate and reinstall than a concrete slab - you don't need a jack
hammer!  Just a flat shovel, mattock, wheelbarrow to demo a cob floor.

One warning - Breitenbush has a little cob meditation hut called
Budda's Playhouse, with a geothermal system in the earthen floor.
However, they must have used turpentine & linseed in the finish, and
YEARS later the system still stinks of solvent!  Very important to work
out this detail, since the heated cob will outgas any solvent more than
an unheated cob floor.  (Any thoughts on this Charmaine?)

And another concern, regarding the possible embedded clay pipe flue in
the floor - if there are any leaks (ever so small) you might be
subjecting your living space to carbon monoxide poisoning...