[Cob] Re: lime mortar for Bathroom / kitchen tile in a cob house

pirate king pirateking at lesspress.com
Mon Jan 29 15:46:17 CST 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:41:23 -0800
> From: Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor <tms at northcoast.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cob] lime mortar for Bathroom / kitchen tile in a cob
> 	house
> To: "paul" <dotpaul at paulleblanc.net>
> Cc: coblist at deatech.com
>
>   THis is the shower at Emerald Earth,  and  have to admit I totally
> fell in love with it when the Natural Buiding colloquim as held there 2
> summers ago.
>
> The BEST part about the artwork tile shower  is having to traverse the
> length of the greenhouse to get to the shower. So they did an amazing
> job of putting the shower in a place where the plants get the advantage
> of the steam and moisture, and the beauty of nature for the humans too!
>   a pallet wood deck to dry off and walk on was used, and simple screen
> are puled into place to allow privacy.
>
>   But there was a problem with cob mortar, and a leak was found going
> thru to the sauna room behind it. They MAY hav used cement to  embed
> the tile, I can't recall.
>
> So a natural LIME plaster would be perfect over the cob walls, and
> avoids use of cement, and provides a better mortar and protection for
> the clay walls.
>
> Lime has been used for millinea to embed tiles, so it is a good choice
> for cob/earth use too, and sticks better than cement, especially f a
> lime-clay plaster has been applied over the clay.  putting Like-to LIKE
> is the best use.
>
> Remember cement just COATS the particles of sand, but  lime combines at
> the  base molecular level and stays that way.
>

> http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k502.htm
> http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k501.htm
> http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob2005/cob2k503.htm

Really beautiful and inspiring! It reminds me a lot of Antonio Gaudí.
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/albums-en/gaudi-park-guell/pages/antoni-gaudi-park-guell-09_jpg.html

Lime putty sounds like the way to go, and since we're doing it by hand I
guess we might as well smash the tiles up and go crazy...

thanks for all the kind comments,

Robert