[Cob] Radiant heat floors

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Mon Jan 29 13:34:08 CST 2007

INCORRECT: Copper suffers a severe chemical reaction with the caustic
elements in concrete and literally dissolves when in contact with
concrete.  No one embeds copper pipes in slab heating systems anymore.

On the other hand, PEX (cross linked polyethylene) tubing has been used
successfully in millions of homes and commercial applications for
concrete-embedded radiant water heating ("hydronic heating").

In the European Union, PEX is also the standard used for all potable
cold and hot water systems, since the EU banned PVC due to its highly
toxic quality.  Manufacturers give the "low" lifespan of 20 years for
PEX, but when embedded and protected from UV exposure one could expect
it to last indefinitely.

Embedding in a slab is easy, one simply zip-ties the flexible PEX to a
steel mesh (6" x 6" works well) and then pour the slab over the mesh
and PEX.  We installed a hydronic PEX system into a fairly drafty room
in my garage and now it's the coziest room in the house!

Good luck!

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Wildfire Restaurant, Corvallis Oregon
http://www.wildfirefood.com