[Cob] oiling cob

phil philhawnnc at excite.com
Mon Feb 5 23:02:57 CST 2007

Having read what everyone has written about oiling cob and the associated problems or perceived problems I can add my two cents.

Don't use boiled linseed oil. It's nasty, toxic and shouldn't be put in a place that will come in contact with people, food or pets.

DO use raw linseed. It is pleasant to use, cheap, and very forgiving. I have used it to finish wooden floors in the house and to seal wood decking outdoors. I have also added it to my cob mix and earthen plaster mixes. I have used it with turps and without.

Sunnyside sells it ina couple of different container sizes:

http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/

http://paint-supplies.gillroys.com/Cleaners_and_thinners/Paint_thinner_and_turpentine/Raw_Linseed_Oil-s775735.html

I have not purchased it online before but am getting ready to order five gallons for use here at the college. In the past it was available at my local hardware when I lived in NC (Farmers Hardware, Boone) but is not generally carried by he larger chains.

Rancid has never been an issue.

Phil Hawn

Berea College

http://www.berea.edu/sens