[Cob] cob on earthbag

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Tue Feb 13 15:38:59 CST 2007

Yup, the bags will break down in sunlight, once plastered they will be
fine.
But even if they break down you can still plaster over the earthen
walls.

Here are some photos:
http://users.pstel.net/goshawk/0407f.htm

http://users.pstel.net/goshawk/1022c.htm

shows bags on right and plastered bags on left.

Here is a picture of some earthbags being plastered

http://users.pstel.net/goshawk/earthp.htm

and  lastly,
here is a junction of a cob wall with an earth bag wall.

http://users.pstel.net/goshawk/dw2000/0214e.htm

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com

<snip
BUT I wouldn't cut away the bags, in fact all I've read says you need
to completely plaster the earthbags with cob/cement/etc to prevent the
UV from breaking down the polyethylene!  Doesn't sound like you want to
cut them away...

You can wrap the earthbag foundation with chicken wire, hardware
clothe, old wire fencing, etc, then plaster it just like you'd plaster
any cob wall.

Anybody got an earthbag/cob hybrid they want to tell us about here on
the coblist?

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Intaba's Wildfire Restaurant
http://www.wildfirefood.com