[Cob] Hybrid Strawbale/Cob

paul dotpaul at paulleblanc.net
Tue Feb 20 21:37:14 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shody Ryon" <qi4u at yahoo.com>
To: <coblist at deatech.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Cob] Hybrid Strawbale/Cob

> Hi,
> I have not built a cob or SB house, but if I did I
> think I would install a lot of insulation such as SB,
> vermiculite, perlite or.? With straw, or any organic
> material, moisture mitigation from precipitation and
> condensation should be addressed.

Shody, does the insulation go on the *outside* (only) of a thermal mass
wall?  I believe so.  I think insulation on the *inside* defeats the purpose
of the way the mass moves the heat in and out of itself into the living
space.

I've heard of people that stacked straw bales up against the outside of the
walls.  I don't know how they kept them dry.

And as you mentioned (snipped) a long, narrow dwelling with all the glass on
the south side (and shaded in summer by that black cloth or vines) maximises
the collection of the day time heat when you really need it.

I saw one guy that built a cement mass home like that at 8700 feet in the
Rockies and never lights a fire in winter.  Winter comes damned early at
8700 feet.  The specification (which could be accomplished with thick cob
too) requires no insulation inside, lots of water cannisters, and open
design to circulate air naturally, and a long, narrow configuration.  That
was Colorado though, and they get lots of sunshine there compared to some
place like WA or even Oregon's Cascades.