[Cob] cob greenhouse and Washington, DC

raduazo at aol.com raduazo at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 10:09:43 CST 2007

  Thanks to Shanon and everyone else that replied. I should clarify a
few points about the details of construction. The "rubble" that we are
planning to use is a manufactured product which we can obtain very
cheaply here and there are three choices. The first is called crusher
run from a blue stone plant ant consists of crushed bluestone exactly
as it comes out of the crusher. It is a mixture of all different sizes
stone from golf ball size to powder. Light tamping and wetting from a
hose will compact the stone to a point where further settling is
unlikely but it still permits relatively free drainage. The second
material is called rock dust. That is the fines which are left over
when crusher run is screened to produce the different grades of gravel.
I use this material for setting stone walkways I also used it to make
an earth floor. Small amounts of clay slip and shredded straw mixed
into stone dust with a rototiller will produce a one or two layer floor
which does not crack and is relatively dust free.
  The third material is nearly identical to rock dust only it is made
 from broken up cement pavement from which the steel has been removed.
It is the cheapest stuff you can get. It makes great cob or earth floor
material, but there are not as many locations where it is available.
  The plane is to dig a trench, place drainage pipes and possibly a
geofabric liner and fill it with the crusher run to the surface. We
will then cut the tops off a series of tires placed on the crusher run
and fill them with rock dust or crusher run. A second and perhaps a
third course of tires will be cut to form an open top and placed
directly on top of the first course. Note we are not staggering the
courses into a running bond because we want strong support columns
10-16 inches high supporting the bale/cob wall. By filling or partially
filling the lower or middle tire I think we can thus adjust the height
of the knee wall so that the bale wall can be constructed with out
cutting bales.
  Chicken wire will be strung between the tire columns attached to the
treads with drywall screws and washers and the space between the tire
columns will be filled with fist sized rocks gathered from a neighbor's
field, then the rocks, tires and chicken wire will be covered with a
thin layer of cement or lime putty.
 We will provide a roof and construction can begin.
  Bales will be placed on the outside edge of the tire columns and
buttered with cob mortar. Split bamboo will be stuck into the mortar
and successive bales will be placed directly on top of the lower bales.
Again we are not staggering the bales to avoid cutting. We believe the
split bamboo will strengthen and stabilize the courses of bale better
than using a running bond.
  Nylon ties will be attached to some of the split bamboo strips and
will project to the inside of the wall. Cob will be made from rock dust
and local clay using a rototiller and/or a back hoe. (We want to
compare the relative speed and quality of the mixes).
  In the previous bale/cob hybrid wall the cob tended to slump away from
the bale when we built too fast and too wet. To prevent that we will
attach the nylon ties to dead-man anchors in the cob wall.
  I think it should work. All I need is for Chris to get his act
together for phase one.
 Thanks again for the input and other helpful comments.
 Ed