[Cob] Embedding metal

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Wed Apr 18 16:47:04 CDT 2007

All,

In the ongoing saga that is the composting toilet/earthen building
project in downtown Toronto, we have now been required to have not
only an architect, but two engineers. The arch wants to build a metal
frame to support the roof and then we'd cob up underneath;
alternative roof support is the only way to get a permit. Four of the
six supports are embedded in the cob.

Two questions:

Especially in an unheated building, it seems a questionable idea to
embed metal support posts in cob, due to their different
expansion/contraction rates. I can imagine strips of cob popping off. Comments?

He is requiring a bond beam around the top of the cob as it meets the
roof, as per New Mexico's adobe building code. He is balking at my
suggestion that it is not needed. Comments?

Any help would be appreciated.

Georgie
www.cobinthepark.ca