[Cob] Space above windows

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Apr 19 01:20:19 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Georgie Donais wrote:

> All,
>
> I have combed through my resource books but am not finding info about the
> amount of cob required above any window/door before the roof starts. I have
> it in my head that it's two feet; does this seem right?

There is no set amount of cob to put above windows/door, you don't have to
have any at all, the question is how any load above this area will be
supported.  The roof can be structured to avoid placing any load above
these areas, or some kind of heavy lintel or top plate could be placed
over these areas to support the load.