[Cob] Are you willing (long respose)

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 01:46:46 CDT 2007

Hi,
There is someone one this list from New Zealand that
might be able to help. In New Mexico, I think adobe
residences are being built with permits. A benefactor
paid for Calearth.org to have a hydraulic shake table
test of their earthen dome, which not only passed the
test for the strongest seismic activity likely in
California and Alaska, the testers increased the
testing and the table began to fail under the stress
of the test, and the dome still held. This test
allowed the earthen domes to be permited in the most
dangerous seismic areas, at least in California, I
don't know about else were. If a conventional cob
structure doesn't work, a dome should. The testing was
deemed void after the 1994 Northridge, California
quake in in which so many "built to code structures"
failed.
Did you see the link to the German data?
By the way, thank you for you interest and taking the
time to contact you representative.
It is strange, that after hearing of the official
agreeing to meet with you, I am feeling frustrated
with the government. It's supposed to be run by wise
people, leaders if you will, who's purpose is to do
things to keep society running smoothly and for
citizens. I don't mean government officials should be
wash cars for individuals, or anything like that, I
mean there is a roll for officials and that roll would
include allowing for, or providing for the popularity
of building green, the greener the better, as global
climate change is a reality. They should not be
waiting for us to take time from our day/work to beg
them to or explain to them how to allow us to build a
type of structure that was commonly built in Devon,
England 400 hundred years ago. Structures which are
still being used as residences today. I realize the
way I would like our government to function is not
reality, so we have to explain to them what we want.
Obviously it would not help our situation to be
anything other than polite and friendly. The
government is not set up to do anything other than
support the status quo and squelch innovation, even if
cob is two time as old as the US government itself.
If we want living roofs or rain water collection
system, composting toilets, straw bale, rubble
foundations, earth bag construction, tire wall
construction, AGS heating systems
(greenershelter.com), branch gray water systems, solar
charging of battery powered cars or any number of
appropriate earth friendly, green technologies what
will we be required to do?
It seems to me, if the government adopts any policies
advocated by a citizen, that citizen should be
compensated, not a token, but paid in accordance with
the value of the contribution (by the government
department that should have done the research on their
own) for taking time off from her/his work to help the
government. It seems that the government could be
proactive, since it isn't the concerned citizens are
actually doing the job that the government “should be”
doing, but isn't. So taxes are going to officials that
are not doing their jobs, and instead, citizens are
not being paid are doing the job of the officials.
This is more important than if the government finds a
way to permit cob.
I don't want this rant to be a substitute for myself
and other taking action and contacting our
representatives. I hope it gives incentive to move
forward with the process.
Thanks for your time,
Shody

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time