[Cob] Coblist Proposal: an Independent Cob Certification Program

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu May 10 15:08:07 CDT 2007

Been lurking, busy running my cob-oven-fired restaurant, but needed
to chime in.

After reading what Sarah Booth is going through with our local code
department (notorious in town for making even conventional buildings
difficult to get approved), I can't help thinking that Stonebear is
right:  building one's own shelter is a godess-given birthright and
necessity.  And just too damned hard to afford for the average person
living the "American Dream".  The 30-year-mortgage serves many people
in our economy - the builders, manufacturers, financiers,
mortgagers...but not the tenants, independent landowners, families or
individuals.  Even many richer folks are trapped in the mortgage debt
cycle.

That said, HOWEVER, it is clear that we need to make sure we know how
to build safe cob (or strawbale, etc) houses.  One can take a week
long class or read Ianto's book, and then go out and build a
structure, which may or may not be sound, durable and safe to live.

But rather than wait for the industry to "catch up" with our recent
advances in reclaiming ancient technology, I propose we create our
own Independent Cob Certification Program!

Much like organic agriculture set about doing in the 70's & 80's,
creating their own independent organic certification programs (Oregon
Tilth, etc), let's create an independent cob certification program,
where for a reasonable fee, one could have one's design, plans,
construction techniques and completed building supervised and
approved by cob "experts".  The Independent Cob Certification Program
(ICCP) could be set up as a non-profit (like Oregon Tilth), but the
cob-inspectors would be paid, through fees and fundraising.

The ICCP would solidify and discipline a movement which has been, out
of necessity, primarily clandestine and "under the radar".  With the
credibility generated from the organization of the ICCP, cob-friendly
engineers could be elicited to volunteer and/or provide their
knowledge to the field at cob-friendly rates.  Cob-friendly attorneys
could help address potential liability issues for landholders and
tenants.  Cob-friendly credit unions could be asked to support truly
grass-root housing in their own backyards: ICCP-certified cob buildings.

Ultimately, the ICCP could have the effect we are looking for:  once
the "official" building departments see that we're serious about
certifying our own building technology (and "cleaning up our house" a
bit) they will treat cob buildings with the respect they deserve.
Officials may even be able to interpret "ICCP-Certified" as a
justification for applying that magical clause in the building code
which says that a building inspector can "sign off" on any building
he deems structurally sound!

What do you all think about this?

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Intaba's Wildfire Restaurant