[Cob] Fwd: Are you willing

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat May 19 09:28:06 CDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Shody Ryon wrote:

> Why does a bond beam not make sense for cob?
> I expect that a continuous reinforced concrete
> foundation will also be indicated.
[snip]
> --- Georgie Donais <georgie at busygirl.ca> wrote:
[snip]
>> Barb mentions that the NM requires a bond beam on top of cob, which to
>> me makes sense for adobe but not so much for cob.
[snip]

Adobe is discrete blocks with no interconnect or reinforcement, cob is
monolithic and straw reinforced, in essence, cob is it's own bond beam.
That doesn't mean there aren't circumstances where a stronger bond beam
might be needed for cob, but as a general rule?  As George put it above:

    "which to me makes sense for adobe but not so much for cob"

FWIW.