[Cob] Cob in Thailand and forget those Building Codes!

fran fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 11:39:53 CDT 2007

> If you want cheap conditions for building your cob home
> try thinking
> internationally. I am in Thailand now and "mud building"
> is now
> starting to take off. Its still in the infancy but has
> nowhere to
> go but up.

If you don't want to leave the country, you don't have to
go that far to escape building codes.  In many areas of the
rural south no permits are required outside the city
limits.  You can build what you want, and prices for land
are pretty reasonable.  In the area I live in Mississippi,
land goes for anywhere from $1200 up to about $3500 an acre
and small parcels can be found if you take a little time
and look.  I'm starting a small storage shed this summer
and hope to build an oven also.  There's plenty of clay on
most land, and it's easy to get the other building
materials.  Compared to other areas of the US, it's cheaper
to build and live here.

Never miss an email again!