[Cob] exterior earth floor?

pirate king pirateking at lesspress.com
Sat May 26 01:36:56 CDT 2007

I'm looking for a solution for the floor of the patio to the south of
our cob cabin in northern Spain. The compacted clay subsoil is sticky
and muddy when it rains, so I laid down some sandy gravel, but that's
not ideal either - it's dusty and not very comfortable, especially in
bare feet. Paving stones have been proposed but I am wondering if there
is some way of doing an exterior earth floor that would be more
resilient and flexible than stone, but which wouldn't be either dusty or
muddy. Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert
(see our cabin at www.lesspress.com)