[Cob] An good example of why we need a cob building "standard"

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 12:27:10 CDT 2007

It appears to me that the 'gotcha' of the building standards is NOT necessarily the answer either...it's a bit tricky.

  If, for instance, someone goes out and builds "any old thing that you want" and it falls down it looks very bad for the technique.

  HOWEVER usually building standards include things like "stabilizers" and other standardized polluting materials (concrete, asphalt, manufactured blah blah blah) that we should stop using, and find alternatives, if we want to pass on any LIVABLE planet to our grandchildren.....

  If I can OVERBUILD a cob house, foundation and all, that is better then ANY conventional built house (guarantee that I can) why can't it pass some type of common sense standard? Why are ASME & MSDS standards the key to building? If the lintel you use is over-sized, the Roman arch you use is done perfectly, the rubble trench is secure and well drained, the overhangs etc etc etc. Cob houses have withstood time much longer then wood ones - the Ahimsa foundation is obviously to blame, not the Cob......

  This type of commonsense building expertise is accessible to almost anyone, especially if you have some support from someone that has built something well before. If inspectors were free to use their best judgment (and not terrorized by lawsuits) and allowed to pass WELL BUILT homes we would be making progress......

  Again I'm concerned that the "baby with the bathwater" code will include stabilizing and reinforcing the oldest known building material and force toxic polluting materials into the vernacular.

  Marlin

  - IOWA, USA - the home of the Free and the Brave
                                               - where everything is Banned or Mandatory

Ocean Liff-Anderson <ocean at woodfiredeatery.com> wrote:
  The following coblist post is a good example of why we need a cob
building standard and also why, lacking a standard, we should never
expect building officials to take us seriously:

In the first paragraph, the author doesn't offer any description of
how an arch should be built, except you can have "any kind you
want". He doesn't specify the need for more straw, as Linda and
Ianto teach in their classes. The author then says you need a
"strong enough board" over windows, but doesn't help the original
poster determine what is strong enough.

In the second paragraph, the author discounts any concerns over wind
and seismic forces, offering cute patter about the big brother
tornado. He disregards any concerns of builders who may be in high
wind locations (like the Deep South, where land is cheaper?). Later
on he does say "taller" walls need to be "thicker" for seismic
strenght. This answer is like many found on the coblist, off-the-cuff
HERESAY, which offer no specific information on just how to build
with cob!

The cob building at Ahimsa Sanctuary has many structural cracks which
have appeared due to a foundation which lacks a concrete-rebar bond
beam, with differential settling in the soil under the walls. We
have yet to figure out how to repair it, or if the building will
eventually need to be demolished. And this was a building created
through a Cob Cottage workshop with much advice from cob "experts".

As a result I may have become more cynical about cob than necessary,
but when I imagine folks creating homes without proper training - and
following off-the-cuff advice and heresay they find here on the
coblist - I get very nervous and concerned for their safety.

I suggested the Independent Cob Building Standard as a way to protect
the home builder first, and second to appease the building
department. If for the moment, we abandon the quest to get building
permits and official approval, at least we should be concerned that
the cob houses we build will be strong enough so they don't collapse
on us!

Do you think building advice given on the coblist should be so
cavalier and unfounded?

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.peacemaking.org

  "And so long as they were at war, their power was preserved, but when they had attained empire
they fell, for of the arts of peace they knew nothing, and had never engaged in any employment higher
than war." Aristotle on Politics

 in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.