[Cob] finding stats

claysandstraw kindra at claysandstraw.com
Wed May 30 02:19:54 CDT 2007

o.k. o.k. I am not disagreeing that cob ("properly built") is stronger than
adobe. But if I'm using cob I'm already most likely incurring "unnecessary
structural and environmental costs" becuase I'm trucking in 2/3 to 1/2 of my
building in the form of manufactured sand and straw.

My original point in equating cob and adobe was in the context of dealing
with building code people: why start a code conversation from scratch? I
say: just use existing data on a similar material, becuase all the standards
for adobe also work to demonstrate cob's viability to an otherwise clueless
building department.     Kindra